Q. Some of my cookies are “unknown”
A. It happens. Here are some ways of addressing this problem.
The list of cookies that the cookie-cat plugin recognises may never be a complete list of all known cookies. If your website delivers cookies that are not recognised then the cookie category, description and duration will be shown as “unknown”. This is not really acceptable as the guidelines state that you’re supposed to explain “how they are used on the websites they visit”.
There are several ways to address this problem.
- Do nothing. NOT recommended.
- Add a caveat saying something like “the exact purpose of the cookie has not yet been ascertained. If you are concerned please contact us for more information.”
- Remove the unknown items from the table.
- Find out what the unknown cookies are; then update the output with the correct information.
- Stop using the plugin/theme or service that delivers the “unknown” cookie
- Let cookie-cat know you have an “unknown” cookie, wait for an update and retry.
- Raise an issue if there is a bug in the code.