- Implemented using lazy ( just in time ) methods
- Built for use within shortcodes e.g. [bw_pages], [bw_table], [bw_fields]
- Allows end user creation of content using [bw_new] shortcode
- Invokes dynamically generated function hooks. See
- Does not use template files for theming fields
- Non OO implementation for reduced code footprint
- The oik-fields plugin relies on APIs in the oik base plugin.
- Generic handling of field display and update
- Provides filters to define fields and titles to be displayed by default using [bw_table]
The current implementation of oik-fields custom field types
- Does not support field grouping
- Does not support multiple meta-boxes
- Does not support repeater fields
- Recognizes minor performance issues with localization
- Does not yet support custom taxonomies as fields
- Limited validation of field format
- There are many features of the oik base plugin that would not be required were WordPress to implement the functionality in the core.
The above items are candidates for proposed enhancements.
- fieldref field type – allows linking to fields through the noderef field type.
- userref field type – to be able to work with serialized user meta
- virtual field type – something that’s generated from other content
- oik-fields – requirements and implementation overview
- oik-fields – Field Types
- oik-fields – Field Attributes
- oik-fields – Implementing a new custom field
Caveat: Whether or not these are unique features is difficult to tell. We have only had time to look at a few of the other plugins and frameworks out there. If you know otherwise, please let us know.